Designed to assist the beginning grazier in designing and implementing a grazing system, SFA’s new Beginning Grazier Handbook is a FREE starting place to quickly and easily find pertinent information. Most of the resources listed include website links for additional interest-specific grazing information.
The Handbook includes:
- Technical assistance – a list of “go-to” people who can provide advice to help you achieve a successful grazing system.
- Information on training, educational opportunities, mentors, networks, and organizations to help you gain knowledge of grazing and grazing systems.
- Production resources that provide you with reading materials on grazing systems.
- Farm business planning information that helps farmers understand the business side of grazing – recordkeeping, business planning, and marketing opportunities of your products.
- Where to go in Minnesota for loans and grants to help with financing the infrastructure needed for a grazing system.
In the appendices are lists of businesses that supply equipment and seeds for grazing systems. Use this list to find suppliers and negotiate the best value when purchasing. The goal of the handbook was to provide information; listing does not mean we endorse any of these suppliers.
This handbook was compiled by SFA as part of the Keep Cattle in Minnesota Project, with support from the Minnesota Natural Resources Conservation Service and the Pasture Project.