Experience “the best ephemeral restaurant in Minnesota”; ephemeral because it only lasts one day each year, and that’s August 13th in 2016. Cafe mastermind Greg Reynolds, preeminent organic vegetable farmer, will once again assemble an impressive roster of local chefs to design the menu and actually do the cooking throughout the day.
In 2015 we premiered The Thomas Boemer PIG ROAST
We roasted a whole pig throughout the day under the careful supervision of Thomas Boemer, winner of Cochon 555, a national competition for preparing heritage breed pigs. Thomas is also co-owner of The Corner Table and Revival in Minneapolis.
Delicacies from the roasted pig were served at The Great Scape at 5:00 p.m. . . .
. . . and rumors has it we’re going to do it again in 2016! So plan to stick around for an incredible porcine repast at the end of the festival day!
A full dinner menu will be served from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., to be followed by The Pig Roast. And you’ll be able to have your favorite Minnesota Wine or Craft Beer with your meal!
The Great Scape is alfresco dining in The Lakewinds Local Foods Tent, where you can take in a food show and a cooking demo while you eat.
Local celebrity chefs consult on the Great Scape menu and actually prepare the food, along with staff from their operations.
The roster includes:
- Alex Roberts & Lucas Rosenbrook of Restaurant Alma with their special chicken wings
- Marshall Paulsen and Zach from The Birchwood are whipping up a tomato plate, some grilled corn and the condiments
- Thomas Boemer of Corner Table and Revival in in charge of the day-long pig roast to be served at 5:00
- Lori Valenziano, formerly of Lucia’s, now with Minneapolis Public Schools Nutrition Center, and Bertrand Weber will do a hummus plate
- Red Table‘s Mike Phillips – a founding chef of the Great ‘Scape Cafe – makes salami sandwiches like you wouldn’t believe
- Matt Morgan from The Bachelor Farmer brings his brandada
- Grilled chicken al carbón tostada with mojo de ajo, black beans, lettuce, corn & tomato salsa from Tilia‘s Steven Brown and Paul Backer
- Phillip Becht from Victor’s on Water is making pizza with help from Red Wagon.
- The folks from Common Roots are doing a wild rice burger and roasted garlic
Proceeds from The Great Scape go directly to Sustainable Farming Assoication programs – all the chefs and cafe staff are volunteers!