Click here to download the 2015 SFA Annual Conference program and schedule
On Display at 2015 Annual Conference: 25 Years of SFA’s Vibrancy
It was a cold Valentine’s Day on Feb. 14, 2015, but the energy inside the College of Saint Benedict easily lifted the spirits of the over 250 attendees at the vibrant SFA Annual Conference.
Snapshots from the day illustrate just how diverse an organization SFA has become:
- Josh Reinitz and Daniel Zetah’s idea-packed session on salvaging and repurposing farm equipment and buildings was innovative, pointed and, at times, hilarious.
- John Mesko’s opening remarks about SFA’s 25-year anniversary prove not just how much SFA and its members have accomplished, but how optimistic we are for our future and our role in regenerating the land in the Upper Midwest and beyond. Click here to download John’s opening presentation slides.
- Led by Monica Irwin, the Budding Farmers program, which drew nearly 20 children to the conference, went home with abundant art they had created as well as seeds from their visit to the seed swap.
- Mary Jane Miller’s culinary sessions again won raves; her braised beef was, in the words of Kelsey Wulf, “out-of-this-world.”
- Twenty-one volunteers, led by Volunteer Coordinator Gretchen Boyum, contributed a total of 43 hours to help make the conference hum. Thanks to all who helped!
- Deep Winter Greenhouses drew a crowd to Paradox Farm on Feb. 13 for our sold-out “combo pack” session, which was followed by two DWG-related sessions on Feb. 14 at St. Ben’s that combined Minnesota Deep Winter experts like Carol Ford, Sue Wika and Ryan Pesch.
- At our Leaders Breakfast, two SFA Awards were given: the Distinguished Service award to Chris Kudrna, and the new Executive Director’s Award to Josh Reinitz.
And, of course, we debuted our popular “Back End of a Cow” t-shirts, only a handful of which remain. That’s what makes SFA great – we combine the most innovative thinkers and sustainable ag experts, but we’re not above making a good manure reference on a t-shirt.
Photos from the Conference are now posted on our Facebook page.
2016 Annual Conference
The 2016 SFA Annual Conference will be Feb. 13, 2016. We are already compiling session topic ideas and need your help – please vote in the widget below or visit the main voting site. Was there a session you missed this year and want to see in 2016? Have a unique idea for a topic that has been on your mind? Enter it below! Then vote often so we can create a conference schedule around the needs of our network.