Connect with the chapter and other member farmers on Facebook!
The Cannon River SFA Chapter is holding its annual meeting on Saturday, January 24, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., in the Community Room at Just Food Co-op, 516 South Water Street, Northfield. Free admission.
Lunch will be potluck; beverages will be provided.
10-10:30 a.m.: Registration
10:30-11 a.m.: Overview of changing food rules & statutes in MN
11-11:45 a.m.: Strategizing for our Farmer-to-Farmer Exchanges
- February: “What’s Inspiring You in 2015?” Mary Ellen Frame, Northfield
- March: “Orchard Pruning,” John Porterfield, Northfield
- April: “Compost Tea Project Update,” Becca Carlson, Northfield
- May: “Stacking Livestock Enterprises on A Small Farm,” Kathy Zeman, Nerstrand
11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m.: Potluck Lunch
12:45-1 p.m.: Discussion on organizing cooperative volume buys on inputs
1-1:30 p.m.: Annual meeting, including election of Board members
1:30-2 p.m.: Board members meet to elect officer team
Chapter President: Kathy Zeman, Simple Harvest Farm Organics
Address: Nerstrand MN 55053
The Cannon River Chapter of the Sustainable Farming Association of Minnesota encompasses sustainable farmers and like-minded consumers in the general area of Dodge, Goodhue, Steele, Rice, LeSueur, Dakota, and Scott Counties.
Sign up for our email list, where we share buy / sell items, educational opportunities. Over 275 farmers / foodies on the list, mostly within 2 hours of Northfield. Email Kathy Zeman at ten.b1429959225wmk@n1429959225amezk1429959225">ten.b1429959225wmk@n1429959225amezk1429959225 to sign up.
Nice article in Agri-News on our members Mary Ellen Frame, Erin Johnson & Ben Doherty: Farm Transitions.
Our current projects include:
- Farmer to Farmer Exchanges: A monthly get together for farmers that is loosely centered on a theme.
- Feb. 20: Livestock Issues. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Hosted by Kathy Zeman, Simple Harvest Farm Organics, Nerstrand.
- March 22: Budding Farmers Field Day — Youth Only! 1-3 p.m. Hosted by Lars Haslett-Marroquin and his family, Northfield.
- March 29: Growing Transplants. 1-3 p.m. Hosted by Linda Halley, Gardens of Eagan, Northfield.
- May 17: Lessons Learned. 3-5 p.m. Hosted by Rae Rusnak, L&R Poultry & Produce, Kenyon. – Read more –
- Festival of Farms: July 12th. Waxwing Farm, Webster.
- Bulk Purchasing and Equipment Sharing initiatives.