St. Paul, MN
St. Cloud, MN
Board of Directors
Liz Morris Otto
Lake Superior Chapter
East Central Chapter
The SFA Board of Directors has approved the USDA Legal Definition of Sustainable Agriculture as SFA’s official definition. The USDA definition reads:
The term ”sustainable agriculture” (U.S. Code Title 7, Section 3103) means an integrated system of plant and animal production practices having a site-specific application that will over the long-term:
- Satisfy human food and fiber needs.
- Enhance environmental quality and the natural resource base upon which the agriculture economy depends.
- Make the most efficient use of nonrenewable resources and on-farm resources and integrate, where appropriate, natural biological cycles and controls.
- Sustain the economic viability of farm operations.
- Enhance the quality of life for farmers and society as a whole.
Click here to view the USDA definition on its website.