There’s a lot of buzz around garlic in Minnesota. Some of the finest premium garlic in the country is produced here, and growers are finding it to be a boon to their farms.
The Sustainable Farming Association has been at the forefront in developing this crop – the Minnesota Garlic festival is in its 12th year – and now we’re taking it to the next level.
SFA is pleased to announce the launch of “The Garlic Project,” the latest in a series of specialty crops projects that will enhance existing and new farmers’ profitability by increasing premium garlic production in Minnesota, teaching best production and marketing practices, expanding markets and supply chains, and conducting research on improved cultivation methods.
Made possible by a Specialty Crops Block Grant through the Minnesota Department of Agriculture, this project’s duration is November, 2017 through April, 2020.
Project Coordinators are Jerry Ford and Connie Carlson. Ford, a seasoned garlic grower, has done event and network coordination work for SFA since 2004 and is the founding director of the Minnesota Garlic Festival. He will head up the production, training and research aspects of The Garlic Project. Carlson, New Crop Market Integration Specialist for the Regional Sustainable Development Partnerships, will be handling the market development and training aspects of this project.
- If you are a garlic grower in Minnesota and not already receiving communications from SFA’s Upper Midwest Garlic Growers Group, please send your contact information to Jerry Ford, email@example.com, 763.244.6659.
- An upcoming survey will ask how many farmers are currently growing garlic growers are out there and how much garlic is being produced.
- We are looking for four collaborating farms to conduct the research components of this project.
- We need 30 partner farms to participate in tracking statistics on planting, harvesting and sales. Again, please contact Jerry Ford if you would like to be a part of this “garlic cohort.”
- A free “Growing Great Garlic in Minnesota” workshop is already available that you can bring to your group or community. The marketing component of this workshop will be added in Summer of 2018, but the cultivation information is ready now. Contact Jerry Ford, 763.244.6659, firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule one for your established farmers and new growers.
Upcoming Garlic Project Events
- SFA Annual Conference, Feb. 10, 2018, St. Joseph, Minn.
- Garlic Growers Field Days, July 1 and 7, at sites TBA around Minnesota. Hosted by the Upper Midwest Garlic Growers Group.
- Minnesota Garlic Festival, Aug. 11, 2018, Hutchinson, Minn.
- Workshop as they are scheduled
Jerry Ford, email@example.com, 763.244.6659
Connie Carlson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 612.709.6790