As the official start of summer nears and the growing season is in full swing, SFA chapters are gearing up for Festival of Farms, set for July 12, 2014.
The following is a compendium of SFA chapters that are participating in Festival of Farms. For complete details and scheduling, please visit our Festival of Farms homepage. Please note that of the tours below, the Picnic Scientifique and the Central Chapter event require an RSVP.
In the Northwest Metro, SFA member Bruce Bacon is hosting a special Festival of Farms event, the “Picnic Scientifique” Soil Field Day. The event, from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sat., July 12, 2014, will be held at Bacon’s Garden Farme, 7363 175th Ave NW, Ramsey.
The event’s tour schedule:
- 11 a.m. Garden Walk with the Garden Farme Soil Committee
- 12:30 p.m. Bumblebee & Pollinators Walk with Sarah Foltz Jordan, Xerces Society
- 2 p.m. Garden Walk with the Garden Farme Soil Committee
In the St. Cloud area, the SFA Central Chapter is hosting tours of four farms:
- Bakers’ Acres, 36861 Co. Rd. 9, Avon, MN 56310
- Emmerich’s Produce, 34114 Peach Dr, Albany, MN 56307
- Dancing Bears, 12822 County Road 51, St. Joseph, MN 56374
- Common Ground Garden, College of St. Benedict, 104 Chapel Lane, St. Joseph, Minnesota 56374
- Central MN Sustainability Project Market Garden, College of St. Benedict, 104 Chapel Lane, St. Joseph, Minnesota 56374
To learn more and to register, click here.
In the Northfield area, the SFA Cannon River Chapter and Just Food Coop are sponsoring tours of two farms near Webster. The tour begins at 9:20 a.m. at Waxwing Farm; a free bus ride is available and leaves at 9 a.m. from Just Food Co-op in Northfield. The farms on the tour include:
- Waxwing Farm, Anna Racer & Peter Skold, 4800 Dent Ave, Webster, MN. Waxwing Farm is a 40-acre diversified farm located in Webster that raises a wide variety of vegetables, laying hens, and market hogs that are marketed through a 70-member CSA and the Fulton Farmers Market in Minneapolis.
- Sweetland Orchard, Mike & Gretchen Perbix, 26205 Fairlawn Ave, Webster, MN. In their five-acre orchard, the Perbixes grow 49 varieties of apples, many of them heirloom, not counting the cider apples. They also have a few pears and plums. They sell apples at the Kingfield market in Minneapolis, but most of their business is Pick-Your-Own on weekends in September and October.
For more information, click here.
In the Hutchinson area, the Crow River Chapter will host two sets of farm tours at three different farms – tours are set for 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. July 12 at these farms:
- The Farm of Minnesota, Dan and Donna Moe, 24618 State Hwy 15, Hutchinson. The Farm of Minnesota offers CSA shares, fresh produce at farmers markets, service to local restaurants and co-ops – and you can get their fruits and vegetables right there at the farm.
- New Story Farm, Daniel Zetah & Stephanie Usery, 19778 235th St, Hutchinson. Farmer/operators Daniel Zetah and Stephanie Usery are actively working toward forming a “cooperative farming village,” a place where others with similar values and visions can work cooperatively on diverse endeavors.
- Living Song Farm, Jerry Ford & Mariénne Kreitlow, 7616 25th St. SW, Howard Lake. Living Song Farm operates on land that has been in the Kreitlow family since 1898. Of the family’s 288 acres, Jerry and Mariénne have 70 acres in transition to certified organic, where they are managing 40 acres of rotational grazing for cattle and pastured laying hens, and growing garlic, onions and potatoes for market.
Festival of Farms is sponsored by OCIA-MN #1.