Help keep the winter doldrums at bay – the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) is offering seven different workshops on a diverse array of farming topics Thurs., Jan. 9, at the River’s Edge Convention Center in St. Cloud. Some of the workshops are filling up faster than others, but there’s still room in all, including “Grant-Writing Essentials for Farmers” with SFA Executive Director John Mesko – this workshop is free for SFA members.
More workshop info and online registration are available at www.mda.state.mn.us/amd. Or, call 651.201.6012 and request a “Winter Workshops” brochure.
- Family Farm as Heritage & Legacy – Estate and Transition Planning for Everyone presented by attorney Barbara J. Heen (Willmar, MN). Time: 9 a.m.-noon, Fee $25 per person.
- Multi-Species Grazing presented by farmer and consultant Lisa McCrory (Randolph, VT). Time: 9 a.m.-noon, Fee: $25 per person.
- Life in the Soil presented by Soil Foodweb founder Elaine Ingham (Corvallis, OR). Time: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Fee: $50 per person.
- Introduction to Bees and Beekeeping presented by Winona State Professor Bruno Borsari (Winona, MN) with farmer Harry Hoch (La Crescent, MN). Time: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Fee: $50 per person.
- Certified Organic High Tunnel Production presented by Michigan State Professor John Biernbaum, (East Lansing, MI). Time: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Fee: $50 per person.
- Grant Writing Essentials for Farmers, presented by Sustainable Farming Association of MN Director John Mesko (Princeton, MN) with MDA staffer Jean Ciborowski (St Paul, MN). Time: 1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m., Fee: $25 (free for SFA members).
- Pasture Planning presented by consultant and farmer Lisa McCrory (Randolph, VT). Time: 1:30-4:30 p.m., Fee: $25 per person.
You might also be interested in the Jan 10-11 Minnesota Organic Conference. Info at: www.mda.state.mn.us/organic – also in St. Cloud.