SFA is proud to be the lead sponsor of the Grazing Lands Conservation Association’s annual videoconference, to be held Dec. 5 at seven sites around Minnesota. More information and registration will be coming soon – watch SFA Connect for details. Agenda and topics include:
Opening Addresses on why NRCS and DNR encourage grazing – Don Baloun, NRCS State Conservationist & Dave Schad, DNR Deputy Commissioner
- Importance of soil health and ways to incorporate soil health strategies – Gene Groven, North Dakota farmer
- Keynote: “Keep it Growing, Keep it Green: Soil Health and Water Protection are the Answers:” New research on managing soil biota, Dr. Kristine Nichols, USDA-ARS (from Mandan, ND)
- Using Livestock to Enhance Prairie: Opportunities to graze public and private conservation lands. Monitoring to see the results of grazing – Carmelita Nelson and Greg Hoch, DNR
- Producer Panel and Discussion: Strategies MN farmers are using to improve soil health to improve pastures and increase farm income, including “Options for increasing soil health and profitability for your farm or ranch” with SFA Livestock and Grazing Coordinator Kent Solberg.
- Introduction to the Keep Cattle in Minnesota Project
The videoconference is held at locations in Crookston, Lamberton, Morris, St. Paul, Rochester, Pine City and Staples.